Home Print this page Email this page Users Online: 541
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2012  |  Volume : 2  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 65-69

Incidence of two canals in extracted mandibular incisors teeth of Saudi Arabian samples


1 Dental Department #1243, King Abdulaziz Medical City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 King Saud bin Abdulaziz University, School of Dentistry, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
Khalid S Al-Fouzan
President of the Saudi Endodontic Society, Associate Dean, Academic and Student Affairs, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University, School of Dentistry, Research Associate, Eng. A.B Research Chair for Growth Fators and Bone Regeneration, King Saud University, Riyadh
Saudi Arabia
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/1658-5984.108151

Rights and Permissions

Aim: The purpose of this in vitro study is to provide clinical data on the presence of the second canal in mandibular incisor teeth of Saudi Arabian Samples. Materials and Methods: Eighty extracted human mandibular incisors were collected from Saudi patients. The teeth were accessed by small round bur then placed in 5.25% sodium hypochlorite for 24 hours to dissolve the organic debris. Indian ink was injected inside the root canal systems under negative pressure. The teeth were decalcified in 5% nitric acid for three days then dehydrated in different concentrations of ethyl alcohol. Following the decalcification process, the teeth were cleared in methyl salicylate and evaluated according to Vertucci's classification. Result: Fifty six of both mandibular central and lateral incisor teeth (70%) had type I canal configuration (one main canal and one main apical foramen), while the remaining 30% of the sample (24 teeth) had a type III canal configuration (two separate canals and merged into one canal before exiting the tooth through single apical foramen). Conclusion : The incidence of two canals in mandibular incisor teeth is about one third of the examined Saudi Arabian samples with no difference between the centrals and laterals. The clinician should deal with these teeth as if they have two canals unless it is proved otherwise.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed5934    
    Printed235    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded874    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 2    

Recommend this journal